Ak RT: Convert Sportbike Into Naked Bike ?


Can I convert my 1999 Honda VFR800FI Sportbike into a naked bike?

I’ve removed all the fairings and it looks pretty odd but I can tidy up the wiring if there is any way I can replace the headlamp, speed/rev counter and temp/fuel gauge. I can’t afford new parts.

Can I convert my 1999 Honda VFR800FI Sportbike into a naked bike?


The CB1300/1100 has no fairing so I wondered if I got a used set of clocks and a headlamp from a Honda CB, would it plug directly intomy bike’s wiring loom? I know the radiators sit on either side of my VFR, but does this bike suffer from overheating or cooling problems to make it need two radiators? Could I change to a single front-mounted radiator from the Honda CB or any other bike?


Ridertips Answers



This engine looks nice but as you’ve already found, the ancillaries around it detract from its elemental beauty. The CB headlamp should go on easily. For the clocks I’d use a generic digital set-up like a Veypor, as CB1300/1100 ones won’t plug straight in.

The VFR’s rads are on the side so as not to compromise the slim frontal area of the V4. There are two as each is small and their combined area is similar to a single rad on, say, an inline four. Any re-sited rad will need custom hoses. Measure the space and allow for the front wheel on full suspension compression. Let us see what you come up with as the project progresses... Cheers.