Powdering Tube-Type Tyres... Yes or No ?


Question About Powdering Tube-Type Tyres : I’ve been changing my own tubeless tyres for a few years now, and have probably done about 20-25 individual tyres. But soon I’m going to be tackling my first tubed tyre, and also my first spoked wheel. I know to be careful about pinching and so on, but what should I do about powdering the tube? Yes or no? And do I powder the inside of the tyre as well? Any tips appreciated...



Powdering Tube-Type Tyres Answer





A dusting of French Chalk is the usual thing, or even talcum powder. Other tips are to inflate the tube just a little to give it shape and help it go in evenly. If there’s too much pressure in the tube as you get to the end of fitting, let a litte out. Always start and finish at the valve when fitting or removing a tyre. Use tyre soap or similar on the bead to help it over the rim.