Ask RT: Ducati 916 Belt Problems


Here’s a question from RiderTips Reader about Ducati 916 Belt Problems : Can you help my poorly 916 please? I recently changed both timing belts – I successfully fitted and tensioned them, rotating the engine to check everything was OK. After a two-week gap, I then changed the coolant to complete the service. I soon discovered I couldn’t now rotate the engine using the rear wheel with the engine in gear.




The engine and wheel stop solid in the same position whether the engine is rotated forwards or backwards. I’ve checked and there are no issues with valves hitting.


Our Answer




The good news is you haven’t fired up the engine so won’t have done any damage. Something’s not right, so you’re going to have to take the belts off, remove the sparkplugs and start again.

Check you can rotate all four camshafts by hand and that all four feel the same. If not, suspect a bent valve. Use the belt pulley marks in conjunction with the flywheel marks in the generator cover to get everything in the right place. Make sure it doesn’t jump when you’re putting the belt on.

Finally, get a crank turning tool for better control when doing the belts – you can bend valves if things are out when turning the engine over using the back wheel..